Oliver Herbert

"What you're paying for is technique. And the opportunity to look truly wicked. Isn't it worth it as long as you look wicked and feel good?" John Galliano

"Fashion is made to become unfashionable" Coco Chanel



My practice is concerned with a state of flux that exists when two cultures fight for dominance. I went to India, a straight talking fashionista ready to set up an empire of glamour and luxury.

I wanted to outsource the work of cable channel Fashion TV to India, in a bid to cut costs. I advitised for my models via signs plastered around Mumbai slums and offered the wage of Rs80 to any budding stars. Quickly the applications flooded in.

When the day of filming arrived chaos ensued. A pack of rabid dogs encircled my glamorous crew. As soon as I started filming crowds surrounded me, everyone wanted a piece of the action.

I quickly realised that my objective of a slick, ‘funky’ fashion fest wouldn’t be realised. What you see in my film is an attempt to cover up, constrain and constrict India to make it work for me. I wanted money, success, fame glamour, what I got was something very different.

I’m currently working with the home office to go ahead with a show at the Collective in October with the working title ‘The Sweatshop.’

With thanks to Sunil, Anah, The Gulf Hotel and Emporio Armani.