Rose Davey

When looking for space within the confines of the modern city, one can find it in the forms of recent architecture, within uninterrupted planes of concrete and towering panels of glass. Through my work I try to capture this space and translate it into a form, which relieves the building of it identity.

Although not at first apparent, the subjects are familiar to the citizens of Edinburgh. Among them are the St James Centre and John Lewis, Harvey Nichols, Marks and Spencer and the Scottish Parliament Building.

The abstract compositions embedded within this architecture provide me with the opportunity to reflect upon my environment and my preferred aesthetics. These buildings often described by their critics as brutal, oppressive and alienating, provide me with my required design, then to be accentuated through colour, tone, shape, line and surface. Light moves and shapes the architecture. Shadows establish themselves as extensions to the abstract patterns and spaces of the buildings.